Solar Packaged Systems
A number of companies and manufacturers put together solar packaged systems-complete packages that take the nitty-gritty 'component picking' work out of buying a solar energy system.
These can come in the following sizes:
- Grid-inter-tie kits that retail for around $20,000 but will include everything you need. A basic starter kit will retail for $8,000 to $10,000.
- Cabin or remote kits that will give you electric power for your off-grid home. These can start at $1,500, up to a full size system for $5,000.
- RV kits starting at under $1,000. These are used to power a few small appliances for your RV, to give you some of the benefits of home while you are on the road.
A number of solar packaged systems are profiled here:
- Gaiam's Mendocino Grid Intertie Basic Starter Kit retails for just over $20,000 US, though the price may be coming down, and it does qualify for state incentives. It's an easy-to-use system, with four 120-watt Kyocera PV panels on roof or ground mounting, with capacity for up to 36 more panels. It's also equipped with lightning protection and some heavy-duty battery cabling.
- Uni-Kit for Remote Homes and Cabins is a design from Uni-Solar. It can provide some basic lighting for your remote home or cabin, as well as construction sites and mobile camps. The Uni-Kit is also equipped with simple plug-in connections and a controller.
- The Nomad from SolarSense is a good place to start if you want to learn the basics of solar energy. It retails for under $1,000. It comes with the unique ARISE Power Manager for easy plug and play energy. This system comes in several sizes, suitable for an RV or any remote cabin requiring a few lights and energy for a few small appliances.
You can learn more details about:
- Components for a grid inter tied solar energy system
- Components for a grid inter tied with battery backup solar energy system.
- Components for an off-grid solar energy system.
Or you can contact a solar supplier near you - after getting some tips on choosing a solar provider.