Solar4Scholars: Solar Cooker
How long does it take to cook a hot dog using only the sun? How much energy will it require? Build your own solar cooker to cook hot dogs, eggs and other things.
Collect the sun's rays and reflect them: voila, your own solar oven. You can do this for fun or as an experiment.
What you will need:
- Cardboard box: the longer the better.
- Reflective foil
- Wire or short piece of coat hanger
- Cut the sides of the box evenly, in a semicircle pattern, as seen on the diagram 1. Be exact, so that each side matches up.
- Cut the posterboard to match, then tape it to the sides.
- Cover the posterboard curve with white glue. Apply the aluminum foil shiny side out. Start in the middle and smooth toward the edges. Minimize wrinkles and folds.
- Find the focal point of the cooker. Simply use a sheet of paper vertically inserted in the middle of the parabola and pick the brightest spot.
- Tape scrap pieces of cardboard to the sides and insert the wire or coat hanger as seen on the diagram. Skewer your hot dog and wait for it to cook.
There are other ways to cook with the power of the sun. See our solar egg fryer.