Solar4Scholars: Solar Thermal Experiment
What you will need
- Black tape, black paint or black paper
- Silver or white tape, silver paint or silver paper
- Three equal sized jars with lids
- Sunlight (the only source of solar power!)
- Pen and paper, to record your observations
- Cover one side of one jar with black tape (paint or paper).
- Cover one side of another jar with one of the silver (or white) materials.
Note regarding these: if you use paint, wait for it to dry (half a day).
- Fill the jars with water that is the same temperature (perhaps from a jug, and preferably very cold). Record the temperature.
- Leave the jars out in the sunlight where they can collect solar energy. Both of the half-covered jars should be placed so that their covered sides face away from the sun. Leave the jars in a neutral colored area. Short green grass would be perfect.
- Record the temperatures every half hour or hour.
Which of them heats the fastest? Which is the slowest? Why, do you think?
Advertiser Links for solar panels [ what's this?]